Vickers Viscount 814
The Vickers Viscount was a passenger airplane for up to 71 passengers that was built between 1948 and 1964. It started a new era of aviation since it was the first airplane powered by turboprop engines. The museum exhibit was in regular service with the Lufthansa from 1962 until 1972. Thereafter it was used as a training object for apprentices. In 2012 the apprentice's workshop in Frankfurt was given a Boeing 737-500 to replace the V814 as training aircraft. Up to then more than 2,000 young people had received part of their training as aircraft mechanic or electronic technician with the help of the V814.
Because of the long lasting friendly relationship between the Technik Museum Speyer and the Lufthansa Technik AG, on this occasion the decision was made to donate the historic airplane to the museum as a permanent loan. The dismantling of the airplane for the transport to Speyer and the reassembly on the museum grounds were jointly accomplished by apprentices of the Lufthansa Technik AG, trainers of the Lufthansa Technical Training GmbH and the team of the museum workshop. Dismantling, transport, reassembly and installation required about 3,000 working hours of the persons involved. After arrival at the museum the aircraft was given a new paintwork by apprentices of the Lufthansa Technik AG according to the specifications of Lufthansa Marketing.
The following enterprises supported the Technik Museum Sinsheim in realizing this project: Lufthansa Technik AG, Lufthansa Technical Training GmbH, Lufthansa Marketing, Mankiewicz Gebr. & Co.