Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-4
From 1936 through 1945 the Bf 109 was the standard craft of daytime fíghter flights of the German Airforce and with an approximate total of 30.000 units it was the German airplane with the overall highest production number. The airplane on exhibit at the Technik Museum Speyer is one of a series of 1242 type Bf 109 G-4 that were built and it is the only existing craft of this series worldwide. Apart from that it is one of but two original Bf 109 which were serving in Germany in WW II.
The museum's exhibit was built in Wiener Neustadt (Austria) in 1942 and employed by the fighter squadron 52 on the eastern front where, on March 20, 1943, it suffered engine trouble over the Black Sea. After 45 years the craft was salvaged in 1987. In 1995 a laborious restoration enterprise, which took three years, was commenced in Italy. In June of 2002 the organization "Traditionsgemeinschaft Jagdgeschwader 52 & Luftwaffen - JG 52 - Museum e.V." succeeded in getting the craft to Speyer.
Source: The big museumsbook